November 11th, 2012 | brian2040
Hello everyone! I’m stopping by after a short time away to announce that development of Descent|OS 4.0 has been started. It will be based off of Debian, using the Sid repositories, but will be utilizing a separate repository for the more stable packages like MATE. It will be released sometime in March, but I will be expecting an Alpha to be released sometime near Christmas. That said, there will be several things that I am changing, and will list out a small preview of what you can expect to see.
1. There will be a new software center. It will be based off of Linux Deepin’s software center, but forked into something more Debian-compatible.
2. Elementary’s old version of slingshot has also been forked into the Vision Application Launcher. Nothing major will change, but it will be serviced by us, so the project will go on.
3. Chromium is the default web browser for all future versions of Descent|OS. However, Firefox will be packaged and in the repositories.
4. Due to the growing popularity of Steam, and its arrival to the Linux platform, Descent|OS will be shipped with Compiz to support Steam, as Marco does not.
5. An LXDE version of Descent|OS 4 will also be shipped.
6. Support for applications such as Spotify will be included.
7. Banshee will replace Guayadeque as the default audio player. Vlc will still be the default video player.
8. I am officially starting the new wallpaper contest for Descent|OS 4. Since we are moving to Debian, I would like to change the color scheme a bit from the blue, gold, and black to something a bit lighter and more professional.
More information should come out soon, but this is all right now. Development has just been started, so obviously more development is needed before I announce other things.
From the developer,